Re: Feedback for draft-nottingham-http-link-header-03

Either they have a clear meaning or they don't. If the interaction between rel and rev is application specific, what is the value of having rev in the spec? It doesn't help with interop.

For example, if the response to GET /resource/2 is:
Link: <http://example.com/resource/1>; rev="next"

It can either be the *same* as a GET /resource/1 returns:
Link: <http://example.com/resource/2> rel="next"

OR

Can be equally expressed like this (in response to GET /resource/2):
Link: <http://example.com/resource/1>; rel="rev/next"
Where a 'rev/' prefix means the same rel but inbound.

To leave the choice between these interpretations two up to each application seems to void the benefit of having both rel and rev. I think the second interpretation is the right one, which calls for dropping 'rev'.

EHL