Re: Feedback on draft-nottingham-http-link-header-03, was: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-nottingham-http-link-header-03

From: David Morris <dwm@xpasc.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 22:26:48 -0800 (PST)
cc: "ietf-http-wg@w3.org Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008, Mark Nottingham wrote:

> On 02/12/2008, at 2:54 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
>
> > Other points:
> >
> > - Comparison rules: I understand we only define link comparison for
> > relations used in the HTTP Link header, and the rule is character-by-
> > character, case-sensitive?
>
> Good question. My inclination at this point is to say that's the case,
> and make it explicit.

I don't think it appropriate to define the comparison as case sensitive
for the 'host name' part as that would violate the well understood need to
be case insensitive.

I would prefer the whole comparison to be case insensitive as it makes for
easier human parsing during error analysis, etc., but I recognize that may
not be a widely held preference and doesn't mimic how a similar URL/URI
would be resolved by common web servers.

Dave Morris