Re: HTTPOnly Cookies Specification

Dan Winship wrote on 11/21/2008 7:04 AM:
> It seems a little odd to write a specification for the HttpOnly cookie
> parameter when there isn't a spec for
> cookies-as-they-exist-in-the-real-world in general.

Yngve Pettersen has been working on Cookies v2 -- although he isn't trying to document "cookies-as-they-exist-in-the-real-world":

 http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pettersen-cookie-v2-03.txt

The reason for the separate spec is because both Mozilla and WebKit are actively working on their implementations of HTTPOnly, and our goal is to help guide them in implementing HTTPOnly in a common way that provides the best security.

We're not opposed to merging our work into a larger cookie spec, but if you're envisioning something beyond what Yngve is actively working on, then it should include his work as well.  Yngve suggested it may be appropriate to resurrect the http-state-wg list if there was enough interest.

- Bil