Re: NEW ISSUE: Methods and Caching

From: <stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 09:37:01 +0100 (CET)
To: "Henrik Nordstrom" <henrik@henriknordstrom.net>
Cc: "Mark Nottingham" <mnot@mnot.net>, "HTTP Working Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

> On fre, 2008-11-14 at 19:11 -0800, Mark Nottingham wrote:
>> RFC2616 does not clearly define what the relationship of the request
>> method is to caching. In particular, does the method form part of the
>> cache key?
>
> As already discussed extensively: no.
>
>> [...]
> Indeed.
>
> My proposal is to make the URI-only GET/HEAD cache model more explicit,
> so future protocol additions hopefully do not fall into the same trap of
> inventing new GET-type methods like WebDAV did..

I think everyone agrees nowadays that side-effect free reading should be
done with GET. (If WebDAV comes up as a a bad example all the time in
these discussions, it is because it almost got things right. Other
protocols which nearly got everything-* wrong, will not be remembered).

I like Henriks approach because it keeps things easy to understand, which
is a prerequisite to easy to implement. And caches deployed on the net
with inconsistent behaviour in edge cases have always been a pain.

//Stefan