Re: estimated Content-Length with chunked encoding

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel@haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 07:46:27 +0100 (CET)
To: ietf-http-wg@w3.org

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008, Jamie Lokier wrote:

> What about sending "Expect: 100-continue" in the request headers, and
> waiting for a "100 Continue" response.  If you get one, you _ought_ to be
> able to assume it's a chunked-request-capable HTTP/1.1 server or proxy, and
> if you don't, you time out, abort that connection (because you don't know if
> it will interpret Transfer-Encoding), and try again with a non-chunked
> request.
>
> Does that work in principle, disregarding broken implementations?
>
> Does it work in practice?

I think this is a case that would work if things worked the way we understand
them and read the RFC, but in practise I believe the 100-continue support in
the wild is not implemented this cleverly. I think a vast amount of
100-continue responses are just not doing any checks at all but simply respond
OK-continue without consideration. And then there's the opposite - servers
that don't like 100-continue at all but would support a chunked-request.

I say "think" here because this is just my gut feeling, I haven't actually
tested the theory.

--

  / daniel.haxx.se