Re: server applying PUT to a resource other than the request-URI

From: Etan Wexler <ewexler@stickdog.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 07:13:59 -0400
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

Yves Lafon (as “Yves”) wrote in

> When you know that /new.txt will generate new URIs, the correct method
> to trigger [it] is POST and clearly not PUT.
> What's wrong with [the following scenario?]
> POST /give_me_a_new_URI
> => 303 See Other
>    Location: /new1.txt
> => PUT /new1.txt

In HTTP, a response whose status code is “303” fails to direct the user
agent to issue a request whose method is “PUT”. RFC 2616 recommends that
the user agent issue a request whose method is “GET” and whose
Request-URI is the URI that appeared in the “Location” header field of
the preceding response (see, for example,
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2616.html#status.303>). The latest
(as of 2008-10-24) working draft of a revision to that part of RFC 2616
allows, but does not mandate, a request whose method is “GET” (see, for

Specifications aside, user agents in the field will react to a status
code of “303” with a request whose method is “GET”. Many operators of
origin servers rely on such behavior, as do the people who direct their
user agents to those origin servers.

Please do not include my address in public replies. I will read public
replies on the list.