Re: server applying PUT to a resource other than the request-URI

On 21.10.2008, at 09:46, Yves wrote:
> When you know that /new.txt will generate new URIs, the correct
> method to trigger is is POST and clearly not PUT.

You don't know that the specific new.txt will generate new URIs, it
was just an example. Of course you need to do the same If-None-Match:
* iterations as usual.
And yes, of course new.txt is a very bad choice, high potential for
conflict. Most CalDAV/CardDAV client would start with the UID of the
item and then proceed.

Again: why is POST a bad choice? Because a client using POST wouldn't
be able to create items in a regular WebDAV server. The suggestion has
very bad downgrade behaviour. IMHO it has very little chance for
adoption.

But anyways, I don't think this thread will lead anywhere, as
usual ..., I'll quit :-)

Well, actually it gave (me) one new insight, so it apparently _was_
worth the annual PUT-redirect posting :-)
A 307+Location is apparently accepted by everyone (?) as a method for
producing server generated URLs in a HTTP compliant way. (might be a
little harder for the server and client, but its a starting point).

Thanks,
   Helge
--
Helge Hess