RE: estimated Content-Length with chunked encoding

Adrien de Croy wrote:
> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> > Adrien de Croy wrote:
> could be interesting.  My original use case was to prevent user
> timeouts due to lack of perceived progress, so all the 1xx responses
> would be sent prior to any data (chunked or otherwise)... but I can
> see some good potential for being able to write to the UI of a UA
> during chunked data download as well - like a multiplexed data stream.

By far the most common case, in my experience, is when the server is
dynamically compressing the response (e.g. mod_deflate). In that case, the
server often knows exactly the unencoded length but doesn't know the encoded
length. If the server could send the unencoded length in the header then the
client could provide a perfectly accurate download progress bar as long as it
decodes the content-encoding as it downloads. I would be very interested in
such an extension and I think UA implementers would be quick to implement it.

I'm not sure that UA builders are going to care so much about the other
proposed uses. There are already workarounds for those use cases (using AJAX
and with the progress information encoded in custom message formats). In order
to be useful for AJAX applications, the information would have to be exposed
in the XHR object. Further, it is really confusing or the end user to see an
estimate of progress that is inaccurate, so I doubt UAs are going to be eager
to display anything that is just an estimate. It seems like a lot of
specification work, followed by a lot of implementation work, just to show the
user information that is often likely to be inaccurate and misleading.

> Although I thought chunk extension headers could only occur on the
> final chunk?  Or are they different to attribute extensions... bit
> rusty on those...

I think you are thinking about trailers. Chunk extensions can occur on any
chunk, AFAICT, according to the specification. However, I wouldn't be
surprised to see real world interoperability problems with them.

Regards,
Brian