RE: server applying PUT to a resource other than the request-URI

Julian Reschke wrote:
> Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> Well, I proposed a new method for this in 2005, and the answer to that
> was: just use POST. And that is what AtomPub has done.
>
> So is this suddenly the wrong advice?

It was always bad advice. Take AtomPub for example: in many AtomPub implementations, there is no idempotent creation operation, and there is no reliable way to tell if an entry was successfully added to the collection if the connection dropped before you got the response. Both of these problems are consequences of using POST instead of PUT to create resources. Plus, AtomPub had to invent a new header (Slug) that would be unnecessary for PUT-to-create.

- Brian