Re: server applying PUT to a resource other than the request-URI

Helge Hess wrote:

> Hm, I wonder whether we could just use a different header, NOT location.
> Something like this:
>
>   PUT /new.txt
>   Accept-Relocation: same-col, same-server, full
>
>   HTTP/1.x 201 Created
>   Relocation: /123.txt
>
> would that possibly work for everyone?

It's just a new request header that modifies the behavior of PUT to do
something else-but-similar.

And, again, how does a client find out about the request-URI? You will need

   If-None-Match: *

to avoid unintentional overwrites on /new.txt, but as soon as you
include it, a conforming server will have to reject the request with 412
if /new.txt is already taken.

How exactly is that better than POST, which already can have that semantics?

BR, Julian