Re: server applying PUT to a resource other than the request-URI

Robert Brewer wrote:
> Helge Hess wrote:
>>> Of course that's not going to work in practice, as Cyrus pointed
> out.
>> Thats exaggerated. Lets see where the requirement comes from. Its
>> originated in servers which use an RDBMS as the storage. Such servers
>> do not want to maintain an additional namespace for DAV but just want
>> to use the records primary key as the relative resource name.
>>
>> Example: PUT /new.txt => Location: 1.txt, PUT /new.txt => Location:
>> 2.txt, etc.
>
> Sure looks to me like PUT is not idempotent for that process.

Correct.

Also, and again: what is the "special" request-URI? Either it needs to
be hard-wired, or client needs a way to discover it, or there's no way
to have a collection that supports both user-defined and server-defined
URIs.

BR, Julian