RE: server applying PUT to a resource other than the request-URI

From: Brian Smith <brian@briansmith.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 14:41:41 -0500
To: <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

Julian Reschke wrote:
> Of course that's not going to work in practice, as Cyrus pointed out.
> We want to help servers that generate the URL based on the underlying
> persistence, so the server really can't predict the final URL until the
> resource is created.

> Well, do you have a proposal that uses PUT as allowed by the RFC2616,
> and works for the above use case?

Proposal 1: Simply do allow that use case. WebDAV clients already expect the
server to create the resources at the URI they are given. This is a pretty
fundamental part of WebDAV; an extension of WebDAV that didn't support it
isn't an extension at all.

Proposal 2: Abandon carddav and use SyncML, which has basically the same
functionality and is already standardized and widely deployed.

Proposal 3: Standardize one of the other contact management APIs that have
been published in the last year. There are many to choose from.

- Brian