Re: Status of Link header

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@yahoo-inc.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 14:55:03 +1000
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, Tantek Çelik <tantek@tantek.com>
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>

...and I just tripped across a use case myself.

Right now, draft-nottingham-cache-channels defines the 'group' Cache-
Control directive. E.g.,

Cache-Control: group="/foo"

tells any interested party that when /foo changes, this resource does
as well. However, 'group' isn't a terribly descriptive name, and since
it's a link, it might be more appropriate (and reusable) as

Link: </foo>; rev="invalidates"

which means "the current resource is invalidated by /foo", giving us
nice wiggle room for "the current resource *invalidates* /bar" with:

Link: </bar>; rel="invalidates"

This avoids defining two new CC directives...

--
Mark Nottingham       mnot@yahoo-inc.com