Re: how to get traction on an I-D

From: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 20:50:17 -0700
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Adrien de Croy <adrien@qbik.com>

On Sep 10, 2008, at 12:01 AM, Adrien de Croy wrote:

> Hi.  Apologies in advance if this is the wrong group to send this.
>
> Apart from writing an I-D, and maybe implementing proposed mods in a
> couple of agents, how does one proceed to get it down the track to
> being an RFC?

What kind of RFC are you aiming for?  First step to getting an RFC
Editor stream Informational RFC is simply to submit it to them for
publication.  Their review board will look at it.  If it ends up an
RFC it will show as Informational with a disclaimer saying it's not an
IETF product.  For IETF stream documents, I'm the most likely document
sponsor when you're ready to request publication.

Other steps might involve getting other implementors involved, and
getting people's opinions on what status it should have.  I'm guessing
you don't want a WG for this alone.  Sometimes it's possible to get an
existing WG to come to consensus to add something related to its
charter.

The current draft has "Standards Track" as its intended status.  My
evaluation of interest shown thus far is that there isn't enough
interest for Standards Track.  Anyway, Informational and Experimental
status are easier for individual submissions.  When asked to sponsor
an individual document on the Standards Track, I look for it to meet a
higher standard in some ways than a WG document to make up for the
lower consensus standards.  In particular, proven interoperability,
proven need, and little contention over the basic design.

Lisa