A proposal for Shared Dictionary Compression over HTTP

From: Wei-Hsin Lee <weihsinl@google.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 13:59:47 -0700
To: ietf-http-wg@w3.org

Over the last few weeks we've been experimenting with a way to get better
compression for HTTP streams using a dictionary-based compression scheme,
where a user agent obtains a site-specific dictionary that then allows pages
on the site that have many common elements to be transmitted much more

We have a paper that we wrote to describe this idea, which I have put online

The specifics in the paper are just one possibility, we're not attached to
the exact model described above. So far our experiments have been quite
encouraging, so we'd love to work with other browser and server vendors to
flesh this out. Is this something that anyone would be interested in? Your
advices are very welcomed.

Thank you,

SDCH team, Google Inc.