Re: [APPS-REVIEW] Metalink XML Download Description Format (draft-bryan-metalink-01)

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 20:54:29 +0200
To: Anthony Bryan <anthonybryan@gmail.com>
CC: Dave Cridland <dave@cridland.net>, general discussion of application-layer protocols <discuss@apps.ietf.org>, Applications Review List <apps-review@ietf.org>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org, ietf-http-wg@w3.org, Ian Macfarlane <ian@ianmacfarlane.com>

Anthony Bryan wrote:
>> One way out of that would by to "grab" special type names like "torrent",
>> and hardwire them. That should be ok as long as they can't collide with
>> registered names (thus no "/" allowed).
>
> Great, thanks Julian! Thanks to the other people that mentioned this
> as well, it seems much cleaner & tightened up now. :)
>
> Do I need to explicitly state no "/" allowed, or just know any that
> ones I'm defining can't be "/" ?

I'd say that types without "/" are reserved, and the only reserved value
for now is "torrent".

> And would it be better to just allow the unofficial MIME type, instead
> of essentially creating an unofficial registry with one or a handful
> of entries? Or is MIME types plus hardwired entries better?

I think you'll see pushback once you start to make normative
requirements related to unregistered mime types. So, you can also try to
get a type registered, which of course would be the cleaner solution...

BR, Julian