Factoring out Content-Disposition (i123), was: Content-Disposition (new issue?)

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 23:01:30 +0200
To: ietf-http-wg@w3.org

Hi,

we discussed this issue during the WG meeting in Dublin
(<http://jabber.ietf.org/logs/httpbis/2008-07-29.txt>), and it seems
there was some support for the idea of taking Content-Disposition out of
HTTP/1.1.

My own proposal was to clearly specify how Content-Disposition works in
existing HTTP clients, and to move that into a separate,
standards-track, spec.

However, an essential part of supporting Content-Disposition is to
understand a subset of RFC 2231, which defines  extensions to MIME
header parameters (<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2231.html>), for
instance specifying how to transport non-ASCII characters in C-D's
filename parameter. *That* mechanism is independent of C-D, and could be
usable for other specs, such as the link header spec (which uses
parameter notation as well).

So we actually need *two* documents:

1) A clarification of what parts of RFC 2231 apply to HTTP/1.1
(essentially a profile), and

2) A specification of Content-Disposition in HTTP, built on top of RFC
2183 and the profile above.

I've got a proposal ready for the first document -- it's available at
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-rfc2231-in-http-latest.html>.
The plan is to submit a -00 draft soon, but I'll be more than happy to
incorporate feedback that arrives before I do.

BR, Julian