Re: qvalue *

From: William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 14:24:27 -0500
To: Frank Ellermann <hmdmhdfmhdjmzdtjmzdtzktdkztdjz@gmail.com>
CC: ietf-http-wg@w3.org

Frank Ellermann wrote:

> The <qvalue>s are supposed to mean something.  In the case
> of Accept-Language: en,de,frr;q=0.1,frs;q=0.1  I'd guess
> (and implement) that this means "user wants 'en' or 'de',
> if both are unavailable frr or frs".  If 'en' *and* 'de'
> are available toss a coin, or take always the first / last,
> the user doesn't care.

Actually, not quite flip-a-coin; the server can (and in the case of httpd,
it will) order preferences according to it's own qvalue list.  So in this
case of en == de, where the document was composed in German and translated
into english, the website author can reasonably attempt to serve an original
document rather than a translation.