Re: Issue 113

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008, Frank Ellermann wrote:

> Julian Reschke wrote:
>
>> again, what problem do we want to solve here?
>
> The problem of "*" or "*/*" or other Accept-* stars,
> where the implicit or explicit <qvalue> is not the
> smallest <qvalue> in the Accept-* list.
>
> Including the special cases *;q=0, *;q=1, and *.

Well, the text is quite explicit, the default qvalue is 1, so * = *;q=1
and *;q=0 should be equivalent to not having *.

The fact that most servers returns something when * is not present and a
406 when *;q=0 is just an implementation choice, driven by the text of
part 3 section 5.

> This is an issue in its own right, not limited to
> #113 and Accept-Language.  It is a wildcard-qvalue
> issue.  2616bis should tell implementors what this
> means.  If this is hopelessly non-interoperable the
> concept of Accept-* wildcards could be deprecated.

Can you point to a specific non-interoperable issue? The example you gave
didn't seem hopelessly broken.

         ~~Yves