RE: Issue 80, was: NEW ISSUE: Content-Location vs PUT/POST

On tor, 2008-07-31 at 08:36 -0500, Brian Smith wrote:
> Julian Reschke wrote:
> > Which means: it's ok to ignore Content-Location, if you "know" it.
>
> I agree. Put another way, it is okay to remove or replace a Content-* header
> but you cannot ignore ones you don't understand.

And the reasons behind this is pretty simple. If you do not know what a
Content-* header means it's very likely you also do not know how to
handle the enclosed entity body in a sensible manner meaningful in PUT
context. Consider for example Content-Encoding where not understanding
the header and blindly ignoring it without considering the consequenses
will have quite dramatic effects on the end result. Similarly for most
other defined Content-* headers. (note: sniffing/guessing put aside
here..)

But in the end, how a server stores a resouce is an implementation
detail. Specs only care that the server can understand what it is
requested to store.

Regards
Henrik