RE: i107

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 04:48:19 +0200
To: Brian Smith <brian@briansmith.org>
Cc: "'Mark Nottingham'" <mnot@mnot.net>, "'HTTP Working Group'" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

On tis, 2008-07-29 at 12:51 -0500, Brian Smith wrote:

> By the way, does a 304 response mean that a particular variant has not been
> modified, or the whole resource has not been modified? I've always assumed
> 304 Not Modified meant that the resource was unmodified--i.e. all variants
> are unmodified. RFC 2616 says "the document has not been modified" but it
> isn't clear to me whether "document" means "resource" or "variant."

Variant.

The variants may change individually.

And it's also the means by which caches can find which variant is the
right for this request.

Consider a for example a negotiated resource /object having
Accept-Language netotiated variants /object.sv and /object.en.
content-negotiation based on Accept-Language selects at most one of
these, and each carries their own ETag. Conditionals is towards the
requested variant, not "any" variant.

Regards
Henrik