RE: i37: Vary and non-existant headers

From: Brian Smith <brian@briansmith.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 12:35:12 -0500
To: "'Mark Nottingham'" <mnot@mnot.net>, "'HTTP Working Group'" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

Mark Nottingham wrote:
> http://tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/37
>
> Roy sort-of proposed deleting "present" in
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2006OctDec/0090.html
>  >

> In addition, I'd propose:
>
> * adding: "When a resource's representations vary, an origin
> server SHOULD include the Vary header even when the selecting
> header(s) are not present; otherwise, caches will use that
> representation inappropriately."

I think it would be better to say: "For each request URI, an origin server
SHOULD return the same Vary header field value for every request." In this
way, the Vary header is not just a response header but a "resource header".

> * adding: "Caches MAY canonicalise request headers before
> comparing them for purposes of determining whether they match
> during variant selection."

Clients, intermediaries, and servers should always be able to canonicalize
headers in any situation. Putting a specific statement about it here imples
there are some cases in which canonicalization is not allowed. I suggest
leaving this part out.

- Brian