Re: Why Microsoft's authoritative=true won't work and is a bad idea

On Mon, 7 Jul 2008, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> [sorry for the missing red thread in this message, please read it in
> experience) which sites label their content proerly and which don't. A
> good start on this track is to add a visible indication when mislabelled
> content is detected, enabling users to see when there is something wrong
> without "destroying the web".

Probably the most useful suggestion in this long thread. Unless it is easy
to identify incorrect labeling, it won't happen.

Many major web sites produce invalid javascript. Generally benign. Some
browsers offer an option to report an error when scripting errors are
detected. Of course, it is obvious few of the developers or QA folks
associatead with web content and applications enable those error reports.
But when I was leading web technology based development teams, I used to
insist that everyone enable error reporting so as to improve our quality.

Having invalid content of other forms noted as well would enable better
overall quality.

I'd also like to see a standard mechanism by which UAs could automatically
report errors to origin servers with enough data to allow the server
administrator a hope of tracking down the problem. Probably with a
mechanism like Microsoft and Apple use to propmpt users for permission to
send error data.

David Morris