Re: Microsoft's "I mean it" content-type parameter

Sam Ruby wrote:
> Daniel Stenberg wrote on 07/03/2008 11:51:39 AM:
>> I find this "I promise this time I really mean that the type is what I
> say"
>> attribute hilariously funny.
>
> That's not exactly what it means.
>
> Consider:
>
> http://feedvalidator.org/testcases/atom/1.1/brief-noerror.xml
>
> This is a testcase (you might have guessed such from the URI).  It has been
> served as application/xml for years.  Sometime during the that period a
> number of uppity browsers one by one decided to throw out the rules that
> have guided the development of the internet and that they knew better than
> I did as to how this data was intended to be displayed.

As far as I can see, there is technically nothing at all wrong with the
the way that file is rendered by browsers.  It's served as XML, which
correctly parse it with an XML parser; they see the Atom namespace and
then process and render it accordingly.  What are you expecting?  It is
analogous to the way an XHTML file served as application/xml using the
XHTML namespace will be processed and rendered as XHTML.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/