Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-nottingham-http-link-header-02

Adding Jonathan Rees.

Mark,

You'll be unsurprised to know I'm delighted to see progress with this.
An updated version of the  POWDER document that makes specific reference
to your draft (and the TAG endorsement thereof) has just been published
[1] - and now it's out of date as it links to ...01.txt. Ah well.

I'm a little concerned about this from section 4.2 though:

"A Link relation is a way of indicating the semantics of a link.  Link
relations are not format-specific, and MUST NOT specify a particular
format or media type that they are to be used with."

Well, here's what I'd like to add to the registry:

Relation Name: powder

              or more Description Resources

Reference: http://www.w3.org/TR/powder-dr/#assoc-linking

But I guess this falls foul of the not specifying a format rule? As a
possible get out of gaol card - POWDER has more than one format (one
XML, one RDF/OWL) so the type attribute matters.

A more generic relationship would be 'describedBy' but with a type of
application/xml that could be all sorts of things, it certainly doesn't
raise an expectation that the linked resource will be a POWDER document.

Why such a tight restriction on what a (registered) relationship type
can be?

Phil

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-powder-dr-20080630/#far

Mark Nottingham wrote:

> <http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nottingham-http-link-header-02.txt>
>

> Diff available here shortly (I hope):
>   <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nottingham-http-link-header-02>
>
> Cheers,
>

> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: IETF I-D Submission Tool <idsubmission@ietf.org>
>> Date: 3 July 2008 11:05:44 AM
>> To: mnot@mnot.net
>> Subject: New Version Notification for
>> draft-nottingham-http-link-header-02
>>

>> A new version of I-D, draft-nottingham-http-link-header-02.txt has
>> been successfuly submitted by Mark Nottingham and posted to the IETF
>> repository.
>>
>> Filename:     draft-nottingham-http-link-header
>> Revision:     02
>> Title:         HTTP Header Linking
>> Creation_date:     2008-07-03
>> WG ID:         Independent Submission
>> Number_of_pages: 13
>>
>> Abstract:
>> This document clarifies the status of the Link HTTP header and
>> attempts to consolidate link relations in a single registry.
>>

>> The IETF Secretariat.
>>

> --

Phil Archer
Chief Technical Officer,