Re: PROPOSAL: i74: Encoding for non-ASCII headers

Am 28.03.2008 um 00:45 schrieb Mark Nottingham:
> Concretely, our options at this point are:
>
> 1) Change the character encoding on the wire to UTF-8

-1

Some people proposed to handle headers by just looking at the octets
alone. While that is good advice to detect line ends and such, most
HTTP client implementations *have to* convert the header names and
values to "characters" since those are used in their own APIs and
host languages.

> 2) Leave the character encoding on the wire at ISO-8859-1, document
> existing TEXT instances' encoding requirements on top of that, and
>    a) Require new headers that need i18n content to specify
> RFC2047, or
-1
ugly, no improvement

>    b) Require new headers that need i18n content to specify *some*
> encoding into ISO-8859-1 using character escapes (which explicitly
> MAY be RFC2047).

+1

My personal preference is to follow the AtomPub decision on the slug
header encoding. If memory servers me right, there was a lot of
fruitful discussion about it and opinions asked from asians
implementors that finally resulted in the encoding adopted.
(See RFC 5023 ch. 9.7.1)

//Stefan

--
<green/>bytes GmbH, Hafenweg 16, D-48155 Münster, Germany
Amtsgericht Münster: HRB5782