Re: PROPOSAL: i24 Requiring Allow in 405 Responses

From: David Morris <dwm@xpasc.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 07:12:16 -0800 (PST)
cc: "'HTTP Working Group'" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008, Julian Reschke wrote:

> (I still have a really hard time understanding why a server ever would
> be able to state "405 Not Allowed", but not be able to say what would be
> allowed. Note that 405 != 501.)

It could be because obtaining a complete inventory is not practical OR
perhaps the server plug-in component which knows that this method isn't
allowed doesn't have permission to make the inventory. Requiring a
complete inventory would mean that server/container would have to
manage the collection when it notices the 405 AND each plug-in
would need a special "is this allowed" API which wouldn't actually
perform the work.

Not reasonable to expect.