RE: PROPOSAL: i24 Requiring Allow in 405 Responses

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 22:04:01 +0100
To: Brian Smith <brian@briansmith.org>
Cc: "'Julian Reschke'" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, "'Stefan Eissing'" <stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de>, "'Mark Nottingham'" <mnot@mnot.net>, "'HTTP Working Group'" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 09:18 -0700, Brian Smith wrote:

> "The methods listed in the Allow field of a response were allowed when
> that response was produced; additional, unlisted, methods may have been
> allowed at that time as well. Regardless of whether or not a method was
> listed in a previously-returned Allow field, the server MAY allow or
> refuse the use of any method in any (future) request. Servers are
> RECOMMENDED to include an accurate and complete set of methods in any
> Allow field returned in a response."

Or the existing SHOULD.. it's a actually fine condition in terms of HTTP
functionality, and it being a SHOULD (not a MUST) means that server who
can't comply for some reason MAY do what they want but knowing that then
clients MAY not do entirely what they expect..

I don't strongly object the suggested changes, but I simply don't see
why they are needed.

Regards
Henrik