Re: PROPOSAL: i24 Requiring Allow in 405 Responses

On Mon, 2008-03-17 at 17:43 +1100, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> * In p2 10.1, change "The actual set of allowed methods is defined by
> the origin server at the time of each request."  to  "The actual set
> of allowed methods is defined by the origin server at the time of each
> request, and may not necessarily include all (or any) methods that the
> server would actually allow in a request if presented."  (with normal
> editorial discretion)

Would be good to get something about "advertised as supported" in there.
The use of Allow is for servers to advertise that they do support a
given method (or indirectly HTTP extension) so clients MAY enable the
use of those methods, not to tell clients not to use certain methods.

> * In p2 10.1, remove "However, the indications given by the Allow
> header field value SHOULD be followed."

I am fine with that with the above clarification of the use of Allow
keeping it on track with the intended use.

If not clarified I am afraid that implementers may loose sight on why
Allow should include a meaningful list of methods or why they should
send Allow at all.

Regards
Henrik