Re: PROPOSAL: Weak Validator definition [i101]

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 09:44:07AM +1100, Mark Nottingham wrote:

> This crossed my mind as well... Weak ETags are in use today, but can
> we find a situation where they're actually improving things, and
> getting interoperability?

What is so bad with my CGI example? If I change something in the script
that will make it's output different but has no semantic importance, I
use weak etags. - You could argument that it is not worth caching at
all, but please, get rid of "same second as now"-last-modified headers
first. And that way the whole weak validator story can go.

(I don't see any interop issues with browsers on weak etag resources.)

> On 18/03/2008, at 8:57 AM, Lisa Dusseault wrote:
>
> >Strawman proposal "Die die die": get rid of weak Etags.  Do this by
> >making the W/ prefix simply part of the ETag.  Alternatively, do
> >this deprecating: recommend clients to ask again or not use etags
> >that begin with W/.

Robert