Re: IRIs, IDNAbis, and HTTP

Brian Smith wrote:

> RFC 2047 is basically unimplementable.

It is a draft standard, there must be at least two interoperable
implementations.  Come on, it is no rocket science, the Internet
uses MIME for ages, RFC 1341 was published in 1992.

> At least, you cannot be sure that any two implementations are
> implementing it the same way because there are ambiguities.

There are no ambiguities, there are only a few dark corners.

> RFC 2047 is so terrible that nobody wants to use it anyway

Parts of RFC 2231 are seriously odd, but "nobody wants it" does
not cut it if the alternatives are HTTP/1.2 UTF-8 or a HTTP/1.1
limited to Latin-1.

If you are sure that 2047 is either unsupported or doesn't work
as specified it could justify to pull it, but then nobody will
forget what you said RFC 2277, and we can save steps by saying
that HTTP/1.1 is hopleless.

 Frank