Re: Reviving HTTP Header Linking: Some code and use-cases

From: Harry Halpin <hhalpin@ibiblio.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:18:25 -0400
To: Brian Smith <brian@briansmith.org>
Cc: ietf-http-wg@w3.org

Brian Smith wrote:
> Harry Halpin wrote:
>
>> Brian Smith wrote:
>>
>>> Why don't you just create a new HTTP header and register it?
>>> The effort to register a new HTTP header would be the same
>>> as the effort to register a new link relation for the
>>> "Link:" header. Plus, you wouldn't have to wait for "Link:"
>>> to become standardized.
>>>

>> Link+rel with URIs Headers and Link+Profile Headers are a
>> decentralized solution to this problem (i.e. would not
>> require a new link relation to be standardized at all,
>> and in the future). We'd rather have one good decentralized
>> way of using the Link header be part of HTTP than have to
>> register a new HTTP header for every technology :)
>>
>> Perhaps that is just my preference for URI-based
>> extensibility and decentralization. However, I do think it
>> makes more sense long-term.
>>

> URI-based extensibility for HTTP is RFC 2774
> (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2774.txt):
>
> Opt: "http://example.org/foo"; ns=00
> 00-My-Custom-Link-Header: http://example.org/bar
> 00-Another-Custom-Link-Header: http://example.org/baz
> Opt: "http://example.com"; ns=01
> 01-My-Custom-Link-Header: http://example.com/something
> 01-Yet-Another-Header: http://example.com/something
>
> The RFC 2774 mechanism isn't restricted to hyperlinks, either.
>
> Regards,
> Brian

That's one experimental way to do it, but again - registering custom
link headers in general I think are a *still centralized* solution in
comparison with a single Link header with extensibility built in. I do
not want to register a custom link header every time I want to have an
application use a link header in a way that needs URI extensibility to
determine its type.

If I use "Opt" do I have to register my link header names, or is it a
free-for-all?

--
		-harry

Harry Halpin,  University of Edinburgh