Re: Reviving HTTP Header Linking: Some code and use-cases

From: Harry Halpin <hhalpin@ibiblio.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 10:46:32 -0400
To: Brian Smith <brian@briansmith.org>
Cc: ietf-http-wg@w3.org

Brian Smith wrote:
> Harry Halpin wrote:
>
>> [snip]
>>

> Why don't you just create a new HTTP header and register it? The effort
> to register a new HTTP header would be the same as the effort to
> register a new link relation for the "Link:" header. Plus, you wouldn't
> have to wait for "Link:" to become standardized.
>
> - Brian

Link+rel with URIs Headers and Link+Profile Headers are a decentralized
solution to this problem (i.e. would not require a new link relation to
be standardized at all, and in the future). We'd rather have one good
decentralized way of using the Link header be part of HTTP than have to
register a new HTTP header for every technology :)

Perhaps that is just my preference for URI-based extensibility and
decentralization. However, I do think it makes more sense long-term.

--
		-harry

Harry Halpin,  University of Edinburgh
http://www.ibiblio.org/hhalpin 6B522426