Re: Reviving HTTP Header Linking: Some code and use-cases

Harry Halpin wrote:
>> Hm.
>>
>> So as far as I understand you have two sorts of GRDDL transforms, a
>> "licensed" one, and another one.
>>
>> Why don't you just define two separate link relations then, avoiding
>> the Profile stuff?
> The links are to the GRDDL transform URIs themselves. And a non-licensed
> GRDDL transformation is not technically a GRDDL transformation. That's
> why we use Profile in our definition.

Understood. But wouldn't two different link relations have the same
semantics?

>> So, let's rephrase this: if a link relation could be a URI (or IRI),
>> would we need Profile?
> Explain precisely how this would work. I'm not sure what document I
> should be looking at to explain "link relations" to me. If there's
> another header that can do it, that might work.

No, I meant the link header...:

Link: <http://example.com/grddl.xslt>;
   rel="http://www.w3.org/2003/g/data-view/transform"

> I can see how there might be conflict if HTML drops Profile and HTTP
> re-instates it. It would be better for it to be either re-instated
> uniformly or not. But I think Profile does have a pretty good URI-based
> extensibility case going for it.

Yes, I totally agree that URI based extensibility is good. I'm just not
sure it's good enough with Profile, given the fact it doesn't solve the
disambiguation problem.

BR, Julian