Re: Content-* Semantics [i103]

From: Frank Ellermann <nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 02:15:48 +0100
To: ietf-http-wg@w3.org

Brian Smith wrote:

> There is no content-transfer-encoding in HTTP

Yes, I confused CTE and TE, again.  Some years ago all
I wanted to know was how I can disable chunking, that
turned out to be simple, use "GET whatever HTTP/1.0".

> Content-MD5/Content-Encoding processing works exactly
> the opposite way:

| The MD5 digest is computed based on the content of
| the entity-body, including any content-coding that
| has been applied, but not including any transfer-
| encoding applied to the message-body.

Okay, so for some chunked gzipped content the MD5 is
apparently for the gzipped content.  I also read #40,
if you want to update all RFC 4229 registrations the
IANA considerations could get very impressive, maybe
a bulk update will do, let IANA replace 4229 by 2616bis
for <huge list of header fields defined in 2616bis>.

 Frank