Re: Content-* Semantics [i103]

Brian Smith wrote:

> headers like Content-MD5 (recalculate MD5 if you
> encode/decode using Content-Encoding)
[...]
> need special processing when you "regurgitate" them.

What "special processing" apart from what is stated in
RFC 1864 do you have in mind ?

| To generate the value of the Content-MD5 field, the MD5
| algorithm is computed on the canonical form of the MIME
| entity's object.  In particular, this means that the
| sender applies the MD5 algorithm on the data immediately
| after conversion to canonical form, before applying any
| content-transfer-encoding, and that the receiver also
| applies the MD5 algorithm on the canonical form, after
| undoing any content-transfer-encoding.

For any questions about which Content-* header fields are
relevant for HTTP I'd check the header field registries:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/message-headers/perm-headers.html
http://www.iana.org/assignments/message-headers/prov-headers.html

2616bis could add a normative reference to RFC 3864, and
maybe get rid of long boring lists covered by RFC 4229 (?)

 Frank