Re: Unknown text/* subtypes [i20]

On 13/02/2008, at 7:39 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> It isn't consensus until the people who have to change their
> implementations agree to do so.  The change was applied in a way
> that I did not anticipate, which made it a new requirement on
> previously conforming implementations rather than a relaxation
> of the existing requirements.  The issue did not require that much.

Julian applied the recorded intent faithfully (there was little room
for interpretation; see <http://www.w3.org/mid/A0C47BE3-739B-491B-A502-80BA0AD6285A@mnot.net
 >), and no-one -- including yourself, unless I'm missing e-mail --
objected to it beforehand.

Your point about consensus is well-taken; it is dependent on many
things, and can of course change over time. However, we should avoid
revisiting topics when possible.

>> In the future, when you don't agree with emerging consensus, I'd
>> appreciate it if you tell us as soon as is practical.
>
> This is as soon as practical.  The last discussion of it took place
> the day before I got hit by the bronchitis fever, and I did disagree
> with the proposal at that time.

Sorry to hear that, and I'm glad you're feeling better. I was
responding specifically to this statement:

> I was waiting for specific text to be suggested, but we can just fix
> it in the draft.

which was difficult to interpret, given that specific changes had been
on the table for some time.

Thanks for providing a proposal. I'd suggest that people review it
carefully, because it's a much more substantial change, from a lines-
of-text standpoint.

Regards,

P.S. Would people find it useful if we listed the current design
issues under discussion somewhere (e.g., on the wiki, and/or in a
weekly summary e-mail)?