Re: i24: Requiring Allow in 405 responses

From: Robert Sayre <rsayre@mozilla.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 02:11:58 -0500
Cc: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, Henrik Nordström <henrik@henriknordstrom.net>
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>

On Feb 13, 2008, at 1:26 AM, Mark Nottingham wrote:

> RFC2119;
>> 3. SHOULD This word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED", mean that
>> there may exist valid reasons in particular circumstances to ignore
>> a particular item, but the full implications must be understood and
>> carefully weighed before choosing a different course.

Sure, let's contrast this text with what we have now.

"You might help clients out if you send this, no one relies on it,
most people don't bother."

Does not sound like something that must be "carefully weighed". I
claim that it doesn't matter a lick, unless you're writing a WebDAV
server or something. By all means, opt in to the MAY in that case.

  - Rob