Re: Unknown text/* subtypes [i20]

From: Robert Sayre <rsayre@mozilla.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 13:01:14 -0500
Cc: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, Geoffrey Sneddon <foolistbar@googlemail.com>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>

On Feb 12, 2008, at 12:49 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>>
>> First, that's not true.  Four popular browser implementations do
>> not obey
>> the standard.  They still don't obey the change you made.  They do
>> not
>
> I'm aware of that, but at least this change would mean that they are
> violating one specification less than before.

I agree that browsers do not amount to the measure of all user agents.
However, their HTTP behavior will appear in many applications, not
just browsers. MSHTML, WebKit, and Gecko have been embedded in many
types of apps. Some browsers are relying on OS networking libraries as
well--Safari relies on CFNetwork and some Linux browsers use libcurl.

- Rob