Re: Unknown text/* subtypes [i20]

Albert Lunde wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 03:03:52PM +0100, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> With change <http://www3.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/changeset/209>,
>> I have removed the character set defaulting, as proposed in
>> <http://www3.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/20#comment:4>.
>
> It seems like, given history, you should explictly say somewhere
> that the default in previous versions of the spec has

As mentioned earlier (:-), that's in
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-httpbis-p3-payload-latest.html#changes.from.rfc.2616>

> been removed, and that there is no specified default,
> (not even US-ASCII inherited from MIME).

Are you saying the defaults defined in RFC2046 and RFC3023 do not apply?
Or should not apply?

My takeaway from the discussions was that we (those specifying HTTP)
want to stop interfering with other specs, so, in particular, we are
*not* overriding whatever these specs say.

So, if we don't like what RFC3023 says...:

"Note: There is an inconsistency between this specification and
HTTP/1.1, which uses ISO-8859-1[ISO8859] as the default for a historical
reason.  Since XML is a new format, a new default should be chosen for
better I18N.  US-ASCII was chosen, since it is the intersection of UTF-8
and ISO-8859-1 and since it is already used by MIME.)" --
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3023#section-3.1>

...we should work within the IETF process to change that.

BR, Julian