Re: HTML5 vs content type sniffing

Am 29.01.2008 um 14:24 schrieb Robert Siemer:

> On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 11:53:49AM +0100, Stefan Eissing wrote:
>
>> In the case of "text/plain" apache httpd is still (2.2.6) shipping
>> with DefaultType set to it, ignoring the rules set up by RFC 2616
>> (which seem to be unchanged in httpbis as far as i can see). So, if
>> the apache defaults are changed, will whatwg have to change the
>> sniffing "standard"? most likely.
>
> Where does RFC2616 set up rules on how Apache has to serve
> its documents? A section mandating on how to deduce the Content-
> Type of
> arbitrary files would be new to me.

http://www.greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2616.html#entity
7.2.1 Type
[...]
Any HTTP/1.1 message containing an entity-body SHOULD include a
Content-Type header field defining the media type of that body. If
and only if the media type is not given by a Content-Type field, the
recipient MAY attempt to guess the media type via inspection of its
content and/or the name extension(s) of the URI used to identify the
resource. If the media type remains unknown, the recipient SHOULD
treat it as type "application/octet-stream".

This defines the way how entities where the content-type is not known
are handled. I hear that apache has changed its implementation in the
dev trunk already. So, httpd will by default not send a content-type
for "unkown" resources.

--
<green/>bytes GmbH, Hafenweg 16, D-48155 Münster, Germany
Amtsgericht Münster: HRB5782