Re: new issue: mismatch between RFC2616 and RFC4234 CHAR definition

lists@ingostruck.de wrote:
> On Thursday 24 January 2008, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> I just realized that the "CHAR" core rules in RFC2616 and RFC4234
>> differ, in that RFC2616 includes NUL:
>>      CHAR           = <any US-ASCII character (octets 0 - 127)>
>>
>>      token          = 1*<any CHAR except CTLs or separators>
>> Are these productions really intended to allow NUL?
> The "token" production explicitly disallows NUL ("except CTLs").

Indeed. Thanks.

> As for quoted-string: quoting is meant to enable the usage
> of *any* CHAR within the quotes or am I wrong?

Not convinced. If the intent was to allow NUL in quoted strings (after
unquoting), why isn't it allowed in qdtext in the first place?

     quoted-string  = ( <"> *(qdtext | quoted-pair ) <"> )
     qdtext         = <any TEXT except <">>
     TEXT           = <any OCTET except CTLs,
                      but including LWS>

BR, Julian