Re: security impact of dropping charset default [Re: text/* types and charset defaults [i20]]

Yutaka Oiwa wrote:

>> To be clear, we're talking about removing
>> <http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-httpbis-p3-payload-01.txt>,
>> section 2.3.1, the entire forth paragraph (i.e., the last one in that
>> section). This includes removing both the defaulting and the
>> MUST-level requirement for labeling text/* in a charset other than
>> ISO-8859-1.
>
> In general, I agree for dropping "ISO-8859-1" default for text/* content
> types,
> however, for "text/html" I have a specific concern with that.

My understanding was that we want to get out of the business of
specifying anything here, and leave it both to MIME in general and the
specific media type registrations.

Thus, if character set sniffing is desirable for text/html, it should be
specified in the HTML spec.

BR, Julian