Books about HTTP "spirit"?

From: Robert Siemer <Robert.Siemer-httpwg@backsla.sh>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 03:49:29 +0100
To: ietf-http-wg@w3.org

Hello everyone!

I'm currently working on my university project that tries to write up a
document related to the HTTP spec, but from the view point of an HTTP
proxy cache implementor. It should/will contain simple algorithms, data
structures and describe general procedures.

That goal often needs to grab the spirit of HTTP to make reasonable
decisions. - Something we usually try here on the list, too. So my
question is:

- Are there any books, papers or documents (online or not) that do talk
  about HTTP from another "sphere" or make any deliberate
  generalisations? (english or not)

A good example would be a commented list of the decisions taken for
implementing e.g. Squid or mod_cache from Apache, but I don't know any
such document (apart from the source code, of course :-)

Many thanks for any hints,