Re: [DNSOP] Public Suffix List

Without speaking to the "evil" vs "not", see section 2.3.2.7 of the P3P
Spec, in which we (over the lamentations of a certain unnamed vendor of
deterministic consumer profiling data, now owned by a _major_ search
engine service provider) required that linkages between cookies be
disclosed in the cookie data collection policy.

I suspect the issue is disclosure, as there are market models which are
based upon covert profiling using PII (information tending to identify
uniquely an individual).

I'll update the draft Dan originally wrote (using PICS labels for the
policy description language, for which I substituted a semantic subset
with non-XML semantics and removed the digital signatures) and
re-publish it an ID, with a note to the W3C's PLINK area people (the
successors in interest to P3P). Its not the highest thing on my todo
list, but as a namespace vendor there is some attraction in having a
mechanism that allows better policing of cookies, independent of partial
label matches.

As someone observed off-list, it doesn't have any apparent relationship
to the problem and solution(s) suggested on the dnsop/http-wg lists, so
I could be mistaken (again) about the necessity or sufficiency of
policy+proof as payload for the http state management mechanism.

Eric