Re: [DNSOP] Public Suffix List

At 11:10 AM +0100 6/10/08, Gervase Markham wrote:
>Kim Davies wrote:
>>  This thread sounds remarkably like deja vu. Indeed, the TLD community was
>>  rather upset a few years ago by Mozilla taking unilateral action to
>>  introduce a hard-coded white-list of acceptable IDN TLDs without prior
>>  consultation.
>
>That's unfortunate; but I must say this upset was not communicated to me.
>
>That policy of ours should have no effect whatsoever on TLDs with a
>responsible attitude to homographs. Our registration requirements are
>not onerous.

For your IDN display technology, Mozilla decides which TLDs have a
"responsible attitude". Mozilla enforces these rules as a "powerful
incentive" for TLDs to do as Mozilla wishes. In doing so, Mozilla
degrades the user experience of TLDs that don't go along with the
Mozilla rules, such as .com/.net and ccTLDs throughout the world. The
Mozilla "public suffix list" may prove to be similar.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium