Re: [DNSOP] Public Suffix List

From: Elmar K. Bins <elmi@4ever.de>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 12:30:52 +0000
To: Antoin Verschuren <Antoin.Verschuren@sidn.nl>
Cc: dnsop@ietf.org, ietf-http-wg@w3.org

Re Antoin,

Antoin.Verschuren@sidn.nl (Antoin Verschuren) wrote:

> > You can't hijack something that does not exist though, which is what I
> > think
> > is the problem here.
>
> Agree, but when this global list of local DNS policy would exist and used, which would be authoritative, the list or the DNS ?

That will entirely depend on the degree of adoption ;-)

Honestly, I see the Mozilla guys taking the lead here and probably
establishing a trust model that the actual TLD operators don't want
that way. When established (through upgrade to current Firefoxes),
it will definitely "rule", whatever the TLD operators do, until
an understanding between the supplier of the widespread tool (FF)
and the "autorities" has been established.

Application manufacturers can set de-facto standards if their
product is widespread enough.

The problem I see here - for the TLD operators - is that there are
more applications/manufacturers than available hands at the operators
to make cooperation even possible...

Yours,
	Elmi.

--

"Hinken ist kein Mangel eines Vergleichs, sondern sollte als wesentliche
 Eigenschaft von Vergleichen angesehen werden."       (Marius Fränzel in desd)