Content-Disposition (was: Status of IANA Considerations (registrations and registries) -- issues 40, [...])

Julian Reschke wrote:

> 1) What's the standards status of Content-Disposition?

It's whatever you say in 2616bis :-)

> - the initial registry (RFC4229) says "standard"
> (<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4229#section-2.1.22>)

> - however the actual registry
> (<http://www.iana.org/assignments/message-headers/perm-headers.html>)
> doesn't mention a status

Yeah, IANA didn't bother to "decompose" the documents with
the initial registries into proper registry entries, leaving
that task to the authors of updates.  2822upd does this for
many "4021" entries, RFC.ietf-usefor-usefor did it for many
"news" entries, and 2616bis will do this for "4229" entries
covered by 2616.

> -> I'm tempted to leave it as defined in registry, so with
> no entry for the standard status

That's cheating, and might not pass.  Just pick something
that fits, "standard" or "obsoleted" or "deprecated", same
idea as for the RFC.ietf-usefor-usefor entries.  From what
you wrote my vague impression is that "Content-Disposition"
in HTTP is a case like "Lines" for NNTP => "deprecated".

 Frank