Re: I-D Action:draft-nottingham-http-stale-if-error-01.txt

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> >   4. What you've said suggests servers should send 4xx error codes for
> >      conditions like "server unable to generate page when moving
> >      between forms, here is an error page explaining why you cannot
> >      proceed right now".  But which 4xx code?  It's not a client error.
>
> I don't quite get what you mean by "moving between forms" but here is
> some suggestions:
>
> 403. Request made sense, but your current state does not allow this. You
> need to take these actions first.
>
> Or if not that then 409 is also a good candidate. Request made sense but
> current server resource state conflicts with the expected state for the
> request.

I'm thinking of "4?? Request cannot be serviced at this time due to
server fault.  Responses previously served (i.e. stale in cache) on
this form query URL (a function of entered data only, not whole server
state) are incorrect at this time due to server state changes since
the previous time.  The stale in cache response should not be used, it
would be misleading.  The error response you have been sent may be
useful."

-- Jamie