Re: I-D Action:draft-nottingham-http-stale-if-error-01.txt

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 10:33:52 -0700
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>

Upon further review, I see no reason for this extension.

>    In this context, an error is any situation which would result in a
>    500, 502, 503 or 504 HTTP response status code being returned.

5xx errors are intended to authorize client-side workarounds, including
the delivery of stale content.  That is, in fact, the only real
difference
between 4xx and 5xx codes.  If this needs to be clarified in the httpbis
drafts, then it should be an issue on httpbis.

We don't need a cache-control option to authorize what should already be
authorized by the HTTP status code.

....Roy